ETF Fixed Income Portfolio Manager
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
Posting Closing Date:December 26, 2021
The portfolio manager will join an experienced and dynamic team that builds and manages exchange traded funds (ETF), mutual funds and institutional mandates. The role will focus on fixed income ETFs and will be responsible for analysis and management of both indexed and non-indexed ETFs, mutual funds, and institutional strategies, across Canadian and international mandates. The portfolio manager's responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, trading and execution, regular economic commentaries, corporate actions, rebalances, idea generation and product engineering, and interacting with market participants/liquidity. In addition to portfolio management responsibilities, the successful candidate will also contribute to client focused commentary, performance and attribution analysis, as well as taking part in client presentations, to support the overall ETF product offering within BMO GAM.
Investment Management - Index ETF and Passive Institutional Strategies Investment Management - Non-Index ETF Investment Management - Custom Solutions Research/Economic Commentary Trading and Execution Sales/Client Service Risk Management & Compliance
- Investment Management - Index ETF and Passive Institutional Strategies
- Responsible for the day to day management of a defined set of fixed income ETFs.
- Ensure each ETF tracks their respective index within allocated tolerance.
- Monitor corporate actions and decide on best course of action.
- Build a trading strategy for any fund rebalances and portfolio transitions to minimize market impact and tracking
- Currency Hedging - Support the team during monthly hedge roll adjustments.
- Responsible for trading multiple asset classes (fixed income, preferred shares and derivatives).
Investment Management - Non-Index ETF
- Serve as a research aid in the idea generation process to help develop and build in-house strategies
- Key point person for building economic analysis for new funds, as well, creating sales support materials
- Aid in communicating each investment strategy to sales team and clients
- Aid in the analysis of performance and investment decisions to defend to senior investment committee.
Investment Management -Custom Solutions
- Work with institutional sales team to leverage the capabilities within the ETF team.
- Aid the portfolio management team in building "one stop" solutions for our clients, by using the most efficient products, whether ETF, index funds or derivative based.
- Provide input and develop rational for new product launches. Working with PM team or index provider in the designing or engineering of new products.
- Assist in providing analysis and building presentations for client meetings and sales presentations with the institutional sales team
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of the Canadian and international fixed income markets
- Provide economic analysis and commentary to the portfolio management and sales teams
- Provide economic analysis on new product launches
- Review and help improve index methodologies by working with index providers
- Write commentaries and regulatory disclosure documentationTrading and Execution Fixed Income
Trading and Execution Fixed Income
- Facilitate fixed income trading across multiple fixed income products i.e. Government, investment grade, high yield and derivative instruments.
- Work with other portfolio managers to generate and execute fixed income trade lists
- Provide detailed post trade analysis on all fixed income trades
- Conduct liquidity analysis on several segments of the fixed income market (CAN, US, Corporate, Government, Provincial)
- Continuously improving the operational efficiencies of the PM/Trading process
- Function as subject matter expert to support sales initiatives to drive asset growth.
- Foster a highly integrated and collaborative partnership with the sales team to deliver exceptional client service.
- Support products through education and sales
- Participate in client focused road shows, presentations and meetings.
- Support the construction of PR and media messaging as the subject matter expert for ETFs as opportunities arise.
- Promote BMO ETFs both externally and internally.
Risk Management & Compliance
- Maintain the highest fiduciary duty when representing and acting in our clients' interests.
- Continuously pursue and identify potential risk within our business and processes.
- Eliminate, where possible, manual processes
- Automate and build systems that reduce operational risk.
- Ensure controls are in place and are being followed
- Join a culture that continuously looks to mitigate operational risk.
- University graduate in Commerce, Business, Engineering, Mathematics or Economics and may have a post graduate degree.
- CFA Charterholder or working toward CFA Charter
- A minimum 5 years of direct investment experience, buy side or sell side.
- Experience in macroeconomic research and a familiarity with writing regular commentaries and strategy reports
- Possess strong written and presentations skills
- Possess strong excel skills (VBA and/or other coding skills are not required but seen as an asset)
How to Apply:
To find out more visit us at http://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.