- Investment Executive ETF Newsletter
March 13th, 2019
Investment Executive's editorial team recently launched the ETF Newsletter that includes must-read news, analysis and commentary on investing with ETFs. This newsletter is sent once a month, and you'll receive the latest news on this growing industry.
- Ring the Bell For Diveristy
March 8th, 2019
What a great day for the Global ETF industry and the women who work in it
- What To Expect During Tax Season
February 11th, 2019
A great article on what to expect during tax season when you own ETFs.
- CETFA News Release - 2018 in Review
February 11th, 2019
CETFA looks back at 2018 and looks ahead to the new year.
- WisdomTree joins CETFA
January 31st, 2019
The Canadian ETF Association is pleased to announce that WisdomTree Asset Management Canada, Inc. has joined the Association.
- ETFGI Releases its December 2018 Report on the Canadian ETF Market
January 25th, 2019
ETFGI reports ETFs and ETPs listed in Canada gather net inflows of US$1.74 billion during December 2018.
- RBC Global Asset Management and iShares Alliance
January 21st, 2019
- How are ETFs Taxed
January 14th, 2019
A great article contributed by TD on how ETFs are taxed
- Where Active Investing Makes Sense For ETFs
December 17th, 2018
An interesting article by TD Asset Management on cases when Active ETFs make sense.
- A Guide to Strategic-Beta ETFs
November 7th, 2018
A very good article by Manulife on understanding Strategic-Beta ETFs to complement the last Smart Beta article posted.
- What is Smart Beta?
October 30th, 2018
An overview of what Smart Beta is
- Your Guide to ETF Investing - Fall 2018
October 18th, 2018
- Myth: ETFs Never Beat the Market
October 15th, 2018
One of the myths we hear - to counter the argument that a very low percentage of active mutual funds beat the market - is that passive ETFs never beat the index they track because of their management fees. Now with the addition of factor-based and active ETFs - this myth can be busted.
- MFDA Investor Bulletin - Mutual Fund Fees
October 4th, 2018
An easy to read bulletin on the impact of fees on investments.
- The win-win potential of active ETFs
August 23rd, 2018
The best of both worlds - this is possibly the best way to describe active ETFs. Mark Brisley, Managing Director and Head of Dynamic Funds discusses the potential outperformance that active ETFs can offer.
- ETF Myths
July 30th, 2018
A great article by TDAM debunking some of the more common ETF myths.
- Comparing ETFs to Mutual Funds and Stocks and Bonds
May 3rd, 2018
A thoughtful article on the comparison between the products.
- John DeGoey wins the FPSC Donald J. Johnston Award
November 27th, 2017
- S&P Dow Jones Indices Announces Decision on Multi-Class Shares and Voting Rules
November 9th, 2017
S&P Dow Jones Indices announced their decision regarding multi-class shares and voting rules following its consultation which was published on April 3rd.
- Keeping "track" of ETF performance How ETFs attempt to track index performance
October 25th, 2017
How ETFs attempt to track index performance
- Transitioning a Financial Practice from Commission-Based to Fee-Based
October 19th, 2017
John De Goey spoke at the recent S&P Master Class about how he transitioned his clients from commission-based to fee-based. His primary concern noted was the advisor bias caused by commission models in general and embedded compensation structures in particular. He used a simple illustration to demonstrate the point. It revolves around competing value propositions and actual money invested.
- Your Guide to ETF Investing - Fall 2018 Edition
October 10th, 2017
The most recent edition of Your Guide to ETF Investing will be distributed this week
- Debunking the Myths of ETFs
September 7th, 2017
- Kevin Gopaul Becomes Chair and CETFA Gains Three New Members
July 10th, 2017
At CETFA's recent AGM, Kevin Gopaul voted in as the new Board Chair and three ETF Providers were accepted as members: AGF Investments, Franklin Templeton and Invesco Canada.
- Shedding Light on ETFs
July 6th, 2017
A great article describing ETFs and why someone should invest in them.
- Your Guide to ETF Investing - Spring 2017
May 19th, 2017
The most recent magazine - with some great articles on the Canadian ETF industry - a digital copy can be found here.
- ETF Tax Efficiency - Fact or Fiction
May 16th, 2017
A short but fact filled article on ETF Tax Efficiency and whether it is Fact or Fiction. The answer - it depends.
- TSX ETF Report
May 4th, 2017
Attached is the First Quarter ETF Report from the TSX - that includes information on their upcoming ETF Lunch and Learn Series.
- CETFA's 2017-Q1 Newsletter
May 1st, 2017
CETFA's Q1 Newsletter
- Institutions Turning More And More To ETFs
April 18th, 2017
Assets invested in ETFs listed globally and in Canada have reached record highs with 35 consecutive months of net inflows. Given this, it is not surprising that ETFs are increasingly playing an important role in investment portfolios with Canadian institutions.
- ETF World
April 17th, 2017
In the Globe and mail on April 17th, there was an insert speaking to the rapid growth of ETFs in Canada and the benefits of investing in them.
- InvestorCOM joins CETFA
March 22nd, 2017
The Canadian ETF Association is pleased to announce that InvestorCOM Inc. has joined the Association.
- Bond ETFs versus Indivitual Bonds
March 20th, 2017
In this article, Vanguard Canada looks at the advantages to using bond funds and ETFs relative to building a portfolio of individual bonds.
- WealthBar becomes the first Robo-Advisor to join CETFA
February 22nd, 2017
Including WealthBar CETFA now has 10 Portfolio Manager members making for a very strong voice representing the ETF industry in Canada.
- The Professional Financial Advisor IV
January 25th, 2017
John De Goey - one of CETFA's Portfolio Manager Members has published an update to his book. It is available now on Amazon.Copies of the book are available - contact Pat Dunwoody at firstname.lastname@example.org
- CETFA Opens the TSX on December 6th to Celebrateour 5th Anniversary
December 8th, 2016
In celebration of CETFA's 5th Anniversary - we opened the TSX.
- Peak's mutual fund advisors to sell ETFs
December 2nd, 2016
Peak Investment Services, Montreal-based Peak Financial Group's mutual fund dealer arm, has found a solution that allows mutual fund sales representatives to offer their clients ETFs.
- Adoption of Fee-Based Model Having Positive Impact For Advisors
November 15th, 2016
Going to a fee-based structure has contributed to positive growth in AUM and revenue for advisors as well as increased clients´ satisfaction and trust in these advisors.
- Net Creations in the First 9 Months of 2016 set a New Record
October 20th, 2016
Canadian-listed ETF assets ended September 2016 at $107.2 billion; this figure represented nearly a 1% contraction from the high-water mark of $107.9 billion set in August. The asset decline was entirely due to negative market effect, as ETFs generated nearly $1.5 billion in quarterly net creations.
- Your Guide to ETF Investing - Fall 2016
October 13th, 2016
- Industry groups applaud ETF proposal
July 7th, 2016
Industry associations representing exchange-traded fund (ETF) providers and mutual fund dealers are applauding the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada's (MFDA) proposed new proficiency standard for mutual fund sales representatives who sell ETFs.
- Webinar - The Realities of ETF Trading & Liquidity
June 10th, 2016
The Canadian ETF Association ("CETFA") is pleased to announce the third in its webinar series - The Realities of ETF Trading and Liquidity will be held on Thursday, June 16th at 1:00pm EST. Register here: http://bit.ly/2anxS3O
- Your Guide to ETF Investing - Spring 2016 Investing
May 11th, 2016
- Assets invested in ETFs/ETPs listed globally reached a new record high of 3.137 trillion US dollars at the end of April 2016
May 9th, 2016
LONDON - May 9, 2016 - assets invested in ETFs/ETPs listed globally reached a new record high US$3.137 trillion at the end of April 2016, according to preliminary data from ETFGI's April 2016 global ETF and ETP industry insights report.
- How CRM2 and the New Regulatory Environment Will Impact Advisors and Their Practices
May 9th, 2016
This is the presentation given at the May 5th Mindpath - ETF conference on CRM2 and other regulatory initiatives - and the impact they will have on advisors.
- MFDA: Sale of ETFs OK as long as certain conditions are met
April 27th, 2016
The Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA) will not stand in the way of financial advisors and member dealer firms who want to sell exchange-traded funds (ETFs) - so long as they meet the requirements necessary to do so, according to senior members of the MFDA who spoke during a panel discussion at the Federation of Mutual Fund Dealers' annual conference in Toronto on Tuesday.
- Assets invested in ETFs and ETPs in the US reach a new record high of 2.17 Trillion
April 18th, 2016
US assets in ETFs and ETPs reached a new high of $2.17 Trillion at the end of March 2016.
- Women in ETFs Open the Market
March 11th, 2016
This year, Women in ETFs (WE) has partnered with UN Global Compact, Sustainable Stock Exchanges Initiative, UN Women, IFC, and The World Federation of Exchanges to host events across the globe during the week of March 7th to raise awareness about the importance of gender equality to sustainable development and business. Bell ringing ceremonies will take place at over 30 exchanges globally and WE will lead events in the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia. Women in ETFs is the first women´s group for the ETF industry. The organization seeks to create opportunities for professional advancement by expanding connections among women in the industry, and offering guidance for the current and next generation.
- Women in ETFs and Five Partner Organizations Ring the Bell for Gender Equality at 34 Stock Exchanges Around the World
March 4th, 2016
For the second year in a row, Women in ETFs (WE) will ring the bells at stock exchanges around the world to celebrate International Women´s Day (8 March). This year, WE is partnering with five other organizations in a growing momentum behind gender equality. WE is leading 15 of the 34 stock exchange bell ringings at which WE will also host speakers to present the business case for women´s economic empowerment. To commemorate International Women's Day, 34 stock exchanges from around the world joined Women in ETFs, UN Global Compact, UN Women, the Sustainable Stock Exchanges (SSE) Initiative, IFC, and the World Federation of Stock Exchanges, to "Ring the Bell for Gender Equality," raising awareness about the business case for women´s economic empowerment and the opportunities for the private sector to advance gender equality and sustainable development.
- ETFs/ETFs Listed Globally Gathered $13.1 Billion US in Net New Assets in January
February 8th, 2016
Despite difficult market conditions, the global ETF/ETP industry gathered net inflows of US$13.1 billion in net new assets (NNA) in January 2016, according to preliminary data from ETFGI's January 2016 global ETF and ETP industry insights report. ETFs/ETPs listed globally have now gathered net inflows for 24 consecutive months.
- Shift to fee-based model doesn't drive clients away, U.S. study finds
February 3rd, 2016
Many investors surveyed for the study indicate they would remain with their advisors even if they were informed of fees - and felt those fees were too high
- ETF exchange access opening up to mutual fund advisors
January 26th, 2016
Exchange traded funds (ETFs) are becoming increasingly popular for both mutual fund companies and advisors who see their lower cost, tax efficiency and income benefits as investments their clients can easily use to complement their core portfolios.
- Congratulations Prosper Canada
January 6th, 2016
National charity Prosper Canada is pleased to announce a $500,000 personal donation from an anonymous supporter. This generous gift will help Prosper Canada to achieve its goal of expanding financial empowerment supports across Canada to help 1 million Canadians living in poverty to improve their financial health by 2020.
- There is No Evidence of "Advice Gap" in the U.K.
December 30th, 2015
There's no evidence of an "advice gap" in the wake of reforms in the United Kingdom that raised proficiency requirements and did away with embedded commissions, investor advocates say.
- ETFs Solve Mutual Bond Fund Problem
December 14th, 2015
The stunning failure of the Third Avenue Focused Credit Fund this week is proof positive that exchange-traded funds are a better (and, indeed, the only fair) structure for delivering exposure to the corporate bond market.
- CETFA 25th Anniversary Party
December 3rd, 2015
Link to the Event Photos
- CETFA Congratulates all of the Morningstar ETF Awards
November 26th, 2015
- Globally - the number of ETFs/ETPs and assets under management hit an all time high
November 10th, 2015
For the first time there are now over 6,000 ETFs/ETPs listed globally with over 3 trillion US dollars in assets at the end of October 2015, according to ETFGI
- CETFA Congratulates the Winners of the 2015 Lipper ETF Awards
November 5th, 2015
The Canadian ETF Association (CETFA) would like to congratulate all of our ETF Provider members who were all winners at last night´s 2015 Lipper Fund Awards.
- Howard Atkinson - Inaugural CETFA Chair Retires
November 2nd, 2015
- A Comprehensive Guide to Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
October 28th, 2015
Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) have become in their 25-year history one of the fastest growing segments of the investment management business. These funds provide liquid access to virtually every financial market and allow large and small investors to build institutional-caliber portfolios. Yet, their management fees are significantly lower than those typical of mutual funds.
- Your Guide to ETF Investing - Fall 2015 Edition
October 22nd, 2015
The fall edition of this magazine has some great articles.
- Rating the risks of investing in ETFs
October 7th, 2015
In a recent article in the Investment Executive, the new ETF Risk Ratings are discussed.
- TSX to end trading of ETFs on MOC facility
June 17th, 2015
The Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) will stop trading exchange-traded funds (ETFs) in its market-on-close (MOC) facility as of the end of June.
- CSA - Mutual Fund Fee Research
June 17th, 2015
The OSC - for the CSA - commissioned The Brondesbury Group to review existing research on mutual funds compensation. The objective of the literary review is "to evaluate the extent, if any, to which ...The use of fee-based versus commission-based compensation changes the nature of advice and investment outcomes over the long term."
- Financial advisers are putting ETFs in the driver's seat
June 2nd, 2015
The results of a Financial Planning Association survey of advisers in the US showed that 81% are now using or recommending ETFs, compared with 78% for mutual funds.
- A Comprehensive Guide to ETFs
June 1st, 2015
This Guide written by the CFA Institute Research Foundation covers the evolution of ETFs as products and in their uses in investment strategies. It details how ETFs work, their unique investment and trading features, their regulatory structure, how they are used in tactical and strategic portfolio management in a broad range of asset classes, and how to evaluate them individually.
- Advisors embrace exchange-traded funds
May 13th, 2015
Hugh Murphy, managing director of Credo Consulting, discusses the results of a recent survey of how advisors are using ETFs, which was conducted for TC Media´s Investment Group.
- Your Guide to ETF Investing - Spring 2015 Edition
May 12th, 2015
- Canadian ETF Highlights - March 2015
April 13th, 2015
Net issuance across Canada's ten ETF Providers totalled $2.76 Billion in March.
- CETFA to host their 2nd Annual ETF Conference
April 7th, 2015
Please join us at this unique, one-day educational event designed for senior Investment Advisors & Brokers as well as MFDA Advisors interested in ETFs.
- Smarten Up Institute launches Leveraged ETF course
March 27th, 2015
The Smarten Up Institute ("SUI"), a leading independent provider of quality financial education, has launched the country's first complete course on investing in leveraged exchange traded funds (ETFs).
- CETFA plans is second annual conference - May 6, 2015
March 13th, 2015
The second annual ETF Conference is being held on May 6th - at the Mississauga Convention Centre. There will be presentations on the product and the industry - as well as advisory panels discussing how ETFs can be used effectively and uniquely to improve an advisor's market share. We hope to see you there.
- Toronto Stock Exchange Celebrates 25 Years of Listing and Trading ETFs
March 9th, 2015
This series of short video clips commemorates the 25th anniversary of the launch of the first ETF on TSX in March 1990. Over the past quarter century both the global and Canadian ETF markets have seen impressive growth.
Listen in to find out why. http://youtu.be/cqk6KxUJNHs